61st Street Farmers Market - August 27
Nowadays, the term DIY seems to pop up all over the place. Not that 'doing it yourself' is a new concept, but there is something new (it seems) about the prevalence of the term. Perhaps it is only marketing helping us to embrace our recessionary state of being! Whatever the case, it also seems to be the sign of an exciting and liberating moment, one where we take creativity into our own hands and make stuff happen in our own way, on our own terms. Remember the joy of 'Mom and Dad, I did it myself!'?
The 61st Street Farmers Market wants to help you DIY in the kitchen, creating your own flavors with the season's best ingredients. This week, our do-it-yourselfer farmers and food artisans will make it easy by bringing a host of fruits, vegetables, cheeses, meats, dairy, bakery goods, and more.
Here are some of this week's highlights:
* Genesis Growers has been picking peppers! Anaheim Chili, colorful Bells, Cherry Bombs, Ghost Peppers, Hot Banana, Italian Roasters, Jalapeno, Mini Baby Bells, Serrano, Padron, Pimento, Shishito, and Sweet Chocolate.
* Mike & Clare are promising a tomato bonanza for Saturday! They will have a sale on Roma tomatoes ($3 per lb.)—perfect for your DIY sauce—and will also be offering Black Princes, Sun Golds, and Garden Peach.
* Mick Klug Farms and Ellis Family Farms continue to offer new varieties of apples, peaches, plums and berries every week.
* Faith's Farm just returned from the butcher with pork chops, breakfast sausage, and ribs. In addition, Kim is offering a new Real Soap product—Laundry Stain Stick—for taking out impossible stains such as wine, berry stains, and ring around the collar! Only $3.95 for three sticks. Stain Sticks are all natural and environmentally safe. Gotta try it!
* Samm from Subterranean Foods will be preparing Breakfast Tacos with Tomatoes/Mushrooms/Basil Sauce and Goat Cheese, Breakfast Burritos with Egg/Potatoes/Black Bean Spread/Corn/Leeks/Peppers with Parsley Sauce, and Brunch Burritos with Corn/Cauliflower/Mushrooms/Kale/Peppers/Manchego Cheese and Mint-Sage Sauce.
* In addition to their delicious prepared foods and drinks, B'Gabs Goodies Raw Vegan Deli, located around the corner on Blackstone in the Experimental Station, has a huge variety of organically grown herbs and spices for your DIY creations. Do check them out and, if you see things you don't recognize, ask them how they are used.
* At 10:30am, at the Chef Demo tent, join Chef Iccha Devi Ra, the Reluctant Vegetarian, who will be preparing Gazpacho and Vichyssoise—two delicious summer soups.
Wishing you the joy of doing it yourself, we look forward to seeing you at the Market!