Market Day - 7/21
Peppers will be arriving at the Market this week. Here's what else you'll be able to find:
- The fruit season is really here! Mick Klug Orchards will be selling peaches, nectarines, plums, blackberries, and blueberries. Mick Klug will also be bringing green beans, zucchini, yellow squash, cucumbers, pickles, okra, banana peppers, purple peppers, green bell peppers, early tomatoes, broccoli, and SWEET CORN! Here is a delicious, super-fast and easy cold Peach/Tomato Gazpacho soup recipe. It's great for hot weather lunch or dinner!
- Growing Power will be selling their great variety of salad greens, spinach, sprouts, beets, carrots, tomatoes, cabbage, and more. Again, do not forget to ask them about their aquaponically raised tilapia.
- In case you forgot, Mint Creek Farm sells not only organic lamb, beef, goat, chicken and eggs. They also sell Kilgus Farm milk, cream and yogurt!
- Penny's Pastry will be selling those ever-so-French and delicious croissants—au beurre/butter, aux amandes/almond, au chocolat—and pain aux raisins.
- If you haven't tried River Valley Ranch portabella mushrooms with pesto pizza, they are simple and delicious! Or try portabella mushroom caps on the grill....
- This Saturday, Spice! will be cooking up Egg Tacos (shredded mix of zucchini & summer squash/cilantro and onion), Market Burritos (kale/green rice/black beans/potatoes/jalepeno sauce), Chicken Tacos (roasted chicken/cotija cheese with yellow salsa), and Tortas (chicken/broccoli/tomato/lettuce/spicy cheese mix). Spice! proudly features ingredients from farmers and vendors selling at the 61st Street Farmers Market.
- B'Gabs Goodies Raw/Vegan Deli will be serving their famously refreshing lemonade, watermelon juice kissed with lime, hibiscus lemonade, and signature kale salad. In an effort to reduce the use of plastic, B'Gabs will give you a 10% off coupon on any one item to use inside the store if you bring your own glass or reusable plastic bottle that will hold a minimum of 16 fluid oz. for your drink, or if you bring a container for your kale salad. Limit one coupon per order. The coupon will expire August 25, 2012.
- From 10am-1pm, stop at Market School to speak with Master Gardener Margarate O'Dell. Margarate has got the dirt—so to speak—on worm composting. You'll be amazed at how much less you throw 'away' when you feed your worms leftover food scraps! Also, if you don't have a garden, ask Margarate what you can do with your compost.
See you Saturday!