This Saturday, February 13, will be the second of the 61st Street Farmers Market monthly markets! From 9am-2pm, stock up for the next month on the region's freshest and finest foods!
We'll have a full line up of farmers and food artisans this Saturday, so bring your Valentine and your shopping list! As always, the Market accepts LINK and matches LINK purchases up to $25. If you're low on cash, the Market also accepts Credit and Debit cards!
Here is some of what you can expect to find:
- To support the Market's activities, we will again be selling Pure Maple Syrup, produced by the Rick Zenner family in northern Wisconsin. 32 oz. bottles sell for $20, 12 oz bottles for $10. Stop at the information table in the entry to purchase yours!
- Fresh, locally grown greens in the middle of winter! Growing Power will be bringing beet leaves, chard, collards, watercress, dandelion greens, kale, lettuces, mizuna, baby mustards (red and green), radishes, salad mix, spinach, carrots, potatoes....
- In addition to their certified organic preserved tomato products—tomato soups, salsas, Bloody Mary mix, jam—Tomato Mountain will be selling fresh, sweet winter spinach!
- Ellis Family Farms will be bringing six varieties of apples, pears, fresh cranberries, potatoes, apple cider, fresh-from-the-farm eggs, honey and preserves!
- From Nichols Farm in Marengo, Illinois, The Urban Canopy will be selling beets, carrots, parsnips, butterball potatoes, watermelon radishes, and sweet potatoes. They will also be selling wheatgrass and microgreens grown at their own indoor farm here in Chicago. If you need ideas for how to prepare winter vegetables, The Urban Canopy will also have recipe cards for Maple Glazed Parsnips and Sweet Potatoes.
- River Valley Ranch is THE place to go for mushrooms—oysters, criminis, portabellos, shiitakes! You will also find hot sauces, salsas, frozen veggie patties, frozen ravioli and frozen tamales, prepared in the River Valley Kitchens!
- John Bailey Honey will be selling 10 flavors of jams and jellies, canned peaches, applesauce, seasonal honey, candles made from 100% beeswax and John's own, organically grown garlic!
- Get your Valentine in the mood with a SenTEAmental Moods loose leaf tea and herbal blend! For this week only, SenTEAmental Moods will be offering mini Valentine tea gifts!
- To spice up your winter fare, try one of Pinch Spice Market's spice blends. This Saturday, Pinch Spice Market will be offering a special Valentine's blend, perfect for steak or mushrooms, or both! In case you were waiting, Vanilla extract, saffron and truffle salt are also back in stock.
- Looking for pure, pastured meats? You're looking for Faith's Farm pastured beef and pork. Kim also sells farm-made lip balms, lotion bars, laundry bars and more to keep you and your Valentine moisturized and healthy. This week, Kim will also be bringing dog bones for your favorite canine!
- Mint Creek Farm will also be at the Market, selling their certified organic-pastured lamb, beef, goat and poultry! We prepared Mint Creek Farm duck after the last Market—succulent and delicious!
- The Eating Well has all sorts of NEW offerings! Try their new Shrimp Bisque, made with local 'Amazing Shrimp', raised in Indiana, Polzin Farms carrots and onions, Geneva Lakes Produce leeks and garlic, roasted San Marzano tomatoes, organic dairy, and garnished with Sherry. Or, try their new Boston-style Clam 'Chowdah', made with Safe Harbor-approved clams and nitrate-free bacon from Kettle Range Meats! If you're looking for an entire meal, The Eating Well is now bringing meals and offering them at a SPECIAL promotional price of $8.00 (normally $12 on line)! This week, they will be selling Paleo Baja Beef and Free Range Paleo Turkey Chili. And, for your Valentine, pick up an assortment of Chocolate Love Truffles, 8 truffles for $15 (normally $3 each), made from Belgian chocolate, organic dairy, local honey and Madagascar vanilla bean!
- Too tired to prepare dinner at the end of the day? Keep a couple of Spark of the Heart healthy and hearty soups and salads in your cupboard! All you have to do is add water and cook!
- This Saturday, Bread of Heaven will be introducing their NEW sourdough loaves! You will find 'All-Nations Whole Grain Sourdough Bread' and 'Rustic Sourdough Bread'—certified organic, vegan, kosher and nut-free! You will also find Bread of Heaven's regular freshly baked selection of certified organic breads and sweets, including 100% Stoneground Whole Wheat, Awesome Oatmeal, Cinnamon Swirl, Banana Bread, Pumpkin Bread, and more!
- If you're looking for a special treat for your special someone, he or she will be delighted to receive a Valentine's Day cupcake from Bot Bakery! You will also find freshly made waffles and other treats, all gluten free and vegan.
- Pleasant House Bakery will be at the Market, bringing several varieties of breads and pastries baked in their wood-fired oven, as well as warm savory pies, all made with local flour, rye, spelt and other ingredients.
- Back by popular demand, Spice! will again be offering Quesadillas! This Saturday, you can choose from Chorizo or Spinach & Mushroom. Spice! will also be offering a Monterey-Style Burrito with potatoes, onions and cracklins, as well as their savory and sweet crèpes.
- Yes, Stamper Cheese!
- At 10:30am, Teri Edelstein will be giving us a taste of Carrot Soup and telling us how to make vegetable stock using lesser-used plant parts—like carrot tops! All those peelings and ends we throw into the compost are great stock ingredients!
- If you'd like to show a little special love to your favorite farmers and food artisans, the Market will have homemade Valentines that you can deliver yourself!
Last, but not least, we deeply appreciate your patronage of the 61st Street Farmers Market throughout the year. You, our faithful and much-loved Market customers, are key to our collective success! See you at the Market!