Summer Youth Program Instructor
Blackstone Bicycle Works (BBW) is a youth education program of the Experimental Station (ES). BBW is a full-service community bike shop dedicated to promoting positive ecological practices and empowering youth from Chicago’s South Side—teaching mechanical skills, job skills, and business literacy to youth ages 8-18.
The Youth Program Instructor will support the daily planning and implementation of Blackstone Bicycle Works’ youth program, primarily through instructing youth in bicycle repair and production skills, working with Experimental Station and Blackstone Bicycle Works staff to provide a supportive and safe environment for all, promoting ecological practices, and empowering youth.
The ideal candidate is passionate about:
- Youth education and engagement
- Bicycle mechanics
- Bicycle advocacy
Assists with leading youth instruction and coordinating other aspects of the youth program.
- Maintain a safe and positive learning environment at BBW. Manage youth behavior.
- Coordinate and lead daily youth instruction. Utilize and enhance youth mechanic curriculum and instruction methods.
- Assist with coordination of youth participation (intake of new participants, retention of other participants) and engagement with all areas of the program and business.
- Assist with coordination of staff, volunteers and youth to help with youth instruction.
- Communicate tool and supply needs for youth instruction.
- Assist with reporting program data and other documentation (participation rosters, youth work log, skill sheets, apron system, activity summaries, photo/video documentation).
- Provide effective daily and weekly communication with Program Manager
- Education: High School graduate or equivalent.
- Experience: Demonstrated success in supporting youth programs.
- Skills and Abilities: Ability to communicate effectively with diverse youth, adults, and groups. Strong organizational, planning, and execution skills. High-level youth development experience and some knowledge of bike repair.
- Physical and Mental Demands: Must be physically and mentally able to perform essential functions, possess sufficient physical strength and energies to effectively engage in activities with youth, and support and sustain the physical environment.
Status: $11-12 per hour.
Work Hours: Full-Time position; Tuesday-Saturday (may vary and include evenings)
Immediate Supervisor: Program Manager, Blackstone Bicycle Works
Email a brief but thoughtful letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and “Summer Youth Program Instructor” in the subject. This is an at-will position scheduled to begin immediately.
Experimental Station provides equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Experimental Station complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.